How many ways can you make a mask formula?
One of the great things about the Create Cosmetic Formulas program is that it lets you be really creative with your cosmetic formulas, while at the same time making sure your formulas will work.
There are so many different ways to put a mask formula together, this blog will give you inspiration and ideas to get you started, then its over to you to select which type of mask you want to create today, and make it… with the create cosmetic formulas program.
Cosmetic mask number 1: Clay mask
Okay this one may seem a bit obvious, but we’ll start here! Clay masks have been used since the dawn of time, and now our clay masks can be quite sophisticated and really good for the skin. Get inspired by our videos:
Here are some ideas to get creating cosmetic formulas with:
- Start with the Clay/Charcoal Mask build – this is available in both the organic and general skin and hair care versions of the program.
- Make it super hydrating by maxing out on the humectant input
- Select exotic oils or even butters to make it super luxurious
- Pick from any of the clays or even charcoal listed or different skin-tastic benefits
These masks are best when applied to the skin generously, left on for 10-15 minutes, and then rinsed away thoroughly.
Cosmetic mask number 2: Gel mask
These can be a great way to introduce various actives to the skin to suit a variety of purposes: skin whitening, anti-ageing, anti-acne, hydration… the list goes on! You can use the gel mask build to create a gel product that gets poured onto face masks in sachets. Watch this video to see how to create a sheet mask.
Here are some ways to get creative with your gel masks:
- Start with the gel-oil free or gel builds – these are both available in the organic and general skin and hair care versions of the program. The difference is if you want a little oil in the formula, or none at all, it’s up to you, and the skin type of your user!
- Choose your actives – this is the best part of this formulation build – so choose actives that will really help get the best performance out of your product
- Choose herbal extracts as your added extras – these can help boost the appeal of your product
- Use water alternatives for extra marketing and performance benefits
- Choose if you want to add fragrance, or essential oils, or none at all!
These masks can be applied in sheet mask applications, or can be applied generously as the gels, left on for 10-15 minutes, then the excess wiped away or rubbed into the skin for extra hydration.
Cosmetic mask number 3: Serum masks
If you’re looking for really nourishing masks, you can’t beat a serum. Use in sheet mask sachets or on their own, you can get really creating with serum formulas especially when you design them to be mask products. Get creative with your serums as masks:
- Use the serum-gel like or serum-lotion like build to get started. These are both available in the organic and general skin and hair care versions of the program. The difference is if you want a light serum (ideal for oily skin types) or a really nourishing serum that is almost like a lotion (better for skin types needing extra hydration)
- Use low inputs of the gums and emulsifiers if you want the serum to suit a sheet mask
- Use higher inputs of the gums and emulsifiers if you want to make the serum a leave on mask that gets rubbed in after 10-15 minute ‘mask time’
- Use your actives to get the best results from your formulas
- Use high inputs of oils if you want extra luxury from the mask – especially if it is for dry and mature skin types
These can be used in a similar way to the gel masks, in that they can be applied in sheet mask sachets, or generously to the skin and the excess rubbed off after 10-15 minutes.
Cosmetic mask number 4: Rich cream masks
These are the ultimate in skin care luxury. You are really creating a very nourishing, very rich cream that gets left on the skin so it can really soak up the goodness of the formula. Intended for very dry and mature skin types, rich cream masks are best rubbed in after the ‘mask time’ to really maximise skin nourishment. Get ideas from our videos:
Here’s how to get creative with our own rich cream mask formulas:
- Use the o/w cream build – this is available in both the organic and general skin and hair care versions of the program
- If you want to be even more nourishing than normal, use the o/w body butter build!
- Use the maximum input of humectant, this will give an instant suppleness and plump to the skin
- Use the midpoint of your non-ionic emulsifier so you don’t get excess rub in time at the end, but still create a super creamy product
- Use the maximum oil input, choosing exotic oils and butters for dry and mature skin types for a really rich skin feel and skin softening results
- Choose your actives and extracts to really nourish the skin
Directions should advise the user to apply the mask in a thick layer and leave on for 10-15 minutes, then rub in the excess product.
Cosmetic mask number 5: Hair masks
Let’s not forget the hair needs extra care from time to time too! Hair masks are a great way to really boost the condition of the hair and support its natural shine and bounce. Get inspiration from our video: How to make an avocado hair mask.
Create your own hair mask formulas with the create cosmetic formulas by following our guide:
- Choose the conditioner build – this is available in both the organic and general skin and hair care versions of the program. Don’t choose the leave in conditioner, it is not intended to be rinsed out. A hair mask should be ultra-creamy and conditioning, but needs to be washed out after application.
- Use the maximum input of humectants – dry and damaged hair need humectants too!
- Maximise the cationic conditioning agent in the formula, this will help with spreading and conditioning
- Maximise the non-ionic emulsifiers to make the formula extra mild and creamy
- Choose hydrolysed proteins for hair repair
- Choose exotic oils and butters for a beautifully conditioning feeling
Well, there you go, that is how to make so many different types of cosmetic mask formulas using the create cosmetic formulas program! Now its over to you, to get creating…
Create cosmetic mask formulas confidently with the Create Cosmetic Formulas program – and always get a formula that works!
- Find out more and get creating General Skin and Hair Care formulas
- Find out more and get creating Organic skincare and hair care formulas
Haven’t tried the create cosmetic formulas program yet? Enjoy it RISK FREE for 24 hours, to see how easy it can make formulating for you. Register here and get creating cosmetic formulas straight away!